04 February 2007

The importance of planning

There are two kinds of people: those who hate plans and those who are fans of plans. I belong to the latter category. I am a strong believer in plans, or rather in the process of planning itself, and enjoy planning immensely! I am not talking about the pretentious plan-based economies back in Soviet times. Planning makes life easier.

My friends sometimes make fun of me as I am a passionate planner. Be it a holiday or a business project, a plan is a must for me. Otherwise, how would you make the most of it? :) Yes, sometimes there needs to be a plan-free holiday. But "no plan" is already a plan!..

It is a wide-spread belief that plans/planning is a limitation. That it puts an end to creativity, flexibility, etc. I totally disagree. The nature of plans is such that they are a constant "work-in-progress", i.e. once you have an initial plan ("a framework") you can work on it further, change it as needed, streamline it and finally have a near-perfect plan for action.

In his book "Screw It, Let's Do It", Richard Branson (the founder of Virgin Group, in case you don't know:) said: "I always tell people that if they want to do anything well, they must plan and prepare." And it's absolutely true. His achievements will only prove this simple statement.

I'm in the process of preparation and planning. In four weeks, a new company and its project will be officially launched. Keep an eye on this blog and you might be among the first to find out!

Outdoor press conference venue of White House, Washington D.C.
Photo by Giedrius CP, July 2006

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you hear them say that God just laughs about plans?:)

I have nothing against planners, as long as they remain passionate. Although I think that planning takes a whole lot of time which could be utilised for something more sophisticated or less sophisticated but in greater fun than planning:)

Looking forward to the launch and a lunch in February!

Anonymous said...

When it boils down to guarantee a good implementation of a project (a new career, set up of an organisation,...) it is of great importance to make sure you can plan. It prevents you from failures or other inconveniences.
Good planning makes it possible to deal with "the law of Murphy":)
It/he can easily be your best friend when you figured out everything thoroughly.

However, I'd like to draw some attention to a beautiful phrase of John Lennon:
"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans".

Question could rise "is Life itself to be seen as a plan too..."...:)
Best wishes

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Giedrius! Well done. I loved this part of your blog a lot.

Looking forward to the launch as well as lunch or dinner in the nearest future.